The Stadium 1º de Maio (Estádio 1.º de Maio) is located in the Park of the Bridge of Braga (Parque da Ponte de Braga) and is used for football and athletism competitions and training with a capacity for 300000 people. Until 1974, it was then called the “28th of May Stadium”.
In the beginning of the XX century, came the euphoria of a new sport, football, and Braga could not dodge the enthusiasm that quickly took account of the population. They emerged here and there precincts to play soccer. So we saw the appearance of improvised fields in Peões and Raio Street. After a few years, and because it was fundamental to create a team that would honor the city and the region, comes the Football Club of Braga (Futebol Clube de Braga) that in Quinta da Mitra, the propriety of the State, built a small football field.
The idea of the construction of a new football field came right after, and not only the living sources of the city were interested, but also the State itself, that through funds unblocked the budget needed for the construction. For the project, the architect Travassos Valdez, who planed a stadium to match the Nacional Stadium, in Jamor, and as that was built in stone.
In 1946, and with the intention of celebrating the 21st anniversary of the 28th of May 1926 revolution, began the construction of the stadium. So, with the help of a bulldozer, the first stone was placed.
On the 28th May 1950, Salazar and Óscar Carmona, together with the Minister of the Navy and of the Public Works, inaugurated the Municipal Stadium that was named “28th of May”. Sportive groups of the region were invited and a big parade was organized. There were also two matches where two Cups were disputed, one between the Football Club of Porto and Sporting Club of Braga, who tied, and Sports Lisboa and Benfica and Sporting Club of Portugal, were Benfica won. This festival brought to town a lot of people, who inundated the city since early morning.
After the 25th of April 1974, the stadium name was changed to the current.