Created in 1918, this museum was revitalized in 1980 as the Museum of Archaeology (Museu de Arqueologia). Depending on the Institute of Museums and Conservation of the Ministry of Culture, the museum has its activity in support to the investigation and appreciation of the archaeological heritage.
It has a restoration laboratory and specialized technical services. The public area has an auditorium, temporary and permanent expositions, shop, educational services, library, café, and garden. The name of the Museum is associated with the Archbishop D. Diogo de Sousa (1461-1532), whom several important measures of urban improvements in Braga are due to and the fact that he gathered the oldest archaeological testimonies of this town until then spread. Between the XVI and XIX centuries, some initiatives regarding the creation of a museum were registered, but only in 1918, the “Museum of Archaeology D. Diogo de Sousa (Museu de Arqueologia D. Diogo de Sousa)” was created. Due to adverse circumstances, the museum didn’t have a regular operating until 1980, the time when it was revitalized as the Regional Museum of Archaeology (Museu Regional de Arqueologia). From then on it has developed its activity in the preservation and promotion of the local and regional archeological heritage, opening to the public in 2007.
Besides this equipment the museum owns wide external garden spaces, of free access to the public.